How to ApplyThe 2015 Spring Training application will be available in winter quarter 2015. Application Process
The Astin Civic Engagement Scholars Program consists of two steps. In the first step, upper-division students apply to take part in a "spring training" program that consists of participating in an off-campus internship while completing a 2-unit internship course; and enrolling in a 2-unit research seminar in which they develop a proposal for their community-based research project in their senior year. Part of this application requires submitting a letter of support from the proposed community partner. In the second step, only those students who have been accepted to take part in the spring training submit their research proposal for their senior year research thesis, along with a letter of support from a faculty advisor. From this group of research proposals, students are selected to become Senior Scholars in their senior year. Application & Instructions
- Click on the application form HERE, and fill out the interactive PDF. The completed application will include a research proposal that addresses the following:
- What is your research question?
- How is this a civic engagement project?
- What is the methodology you propose to use to collect data to answer your question?
- Describe your role with your community partner.
- How will your research project benefit your community partner?
- Print out and submit the completed form to Doug Barrera in the Center for Community Learning, Murphy Hall A265.
Send the Community Partner guidelines to your community partner with instructions for him/her to submit a letter of support to the Center for Community Learning. Click HERE
for Community Partner Guidelines. The letter of support should be sent to Doug Barrera
.NOTE: Your application is not complete and will NOT be considered unless both the application form and a letter of support from your community partner are received by the the deadline: The 2015 Spring Training application will be available in winter quarter 2015.