How to Apply Application Process
The Astin Civic Engagement Research Program consists of two steps. In the first step, students in their junior year apply to a 4-unit “spring training” course to develop their community-based research idea into a formal proposal. In the second step, a select group of students who are chosen as Scholars will continue into the following academic year to conduct a comprehensive research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Scholars will participate in an internship with a community partner organization and enroll in a 4-unit academic course during both fall and winter quarters, and will then enroll in a 4-unit independent research course with their faculty mentor during spring of their senior year. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25. Application Instructions
- Click on the application form HERE, and complete the Word document. The completed application will include a research proposal that addresses the following:
- What is your research question?
- What is the methodology you are considering for answering your research question?
- What is the methodology you propose to use to collect data to answer your question?
- What is your previous experience or familiarity with this topic?
- How is this a civic engagement research project?
NOTE: Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on February 19, 2016.
- Email the completed form to Dr. Doug Barrera. Dr. Barrera is happy to meet with any prospective applicants to discuss their research ideas.