Appendix II Bylaws
College of Letters and Science
Part I. Functions
- The Faculty of the College of Letters and Science shall conduct the government of the College.
Part II. Membership
- Membership in the Faculty of the College of Letters and Science is defined by Divisional Bylaws 50(A) and 184.
Part III. Officers
- Chair. The Faculty shall elect a Chair every two years in odd-numbered years, according to procedures prescribed in Divisional Bylaw 150. The Chair shall serve a two-year term beginning September first.
- Vice Chair. The Faculty shall elect a Vice Chair every two years in even numbered years, according to procedures prescribed in Divisional Bylaw 150. The Vice Chair shall serve a two-year term beginning September first. The two-year terms of the Vice Chair and Chair shall begin in alternate years.
Part IV. Business of the Faculty of the College
- The Faculty as a whole shall meet at such times as it may determine or at the call of the Chair or the Vice Chair. Upon the written request of fifty voting members, a special meeting must be called by the Chair or, in her or his absence or disability, by the Vice Chair of the Faculty. Special meetings shall be limited to consideration of the matters of business specified in the request. The call to meetings must be announced to all Faculty of the College at least ten days of instruction prior to the meeting.
- Matters requiring a vote of the Faculty shall be submitted to an electronic ballot conducted in accordance with Senate Bylaws 95 and 340.
Part V. Faculty Executive Committee
- The Faculty of the College delegates to the Faculty Executive Committee its powers to act under Divisional Bylaw 50(D) (3).
- The Chair and Vice Chair of the Faculty shall be Chair and Vice Chair of the Faculty Executive Committee.
- The Chair shall appoint committees to conduct the business of the Faculty of the College that are not otherwise provided for, and shall be an ex-officio member on all such committees.
Part VI. Membership of the Faculty Executive Committee
- The membership of the Faculty Executive Committee shall consist of elected College faculty, student members, and ex-officio members.
- Faculty Members. The Faculty Executive Committee has thirteen voting members: the Chair and Vice Chair of the Faculty and eleven faculty members, one elected from each of the academic groups below.
- English; Comparative Literature; Gender Studies.
- Art History; Classics; Asian Languages and Cultures; Linguistics; faculty with Humanities Division appointments (w/o departmental assignment).
- French and Francophone Studies; Germanic Languages; Italian; Near Eastern Languages and Cultures; Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Languages and Cultures; Spanish and Portuguese.
- Integrative Biology and Physiology; Psychology.
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology; Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics; Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology.
- Mathematics; Philosophy; Society and Genetics; Statistics.
- Chemistry and Biochemistry; Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences; Institute of the Environment and Sustainability.
- Aerospace Studies; Atmospheric Sciences; Military Sciences; Naval Sciences; Physics and Astronomy.
- Asian American Studies; Chicana and Chicano Studies; History; Communication Studies.
- Economics; Political Science.
- Anthropology; Geography; Sociology.
- Student Members. Two undergraduate and two graduate students appointed by the governing bodies of the Undergraduate Student Association (USA) and Graduate Student Association (GSA) shall participate as non-voting members of the Faculty Executive Committee and shall be appointed annually. The student votes shall be recorded separately and reported.
- Ex-Officio Members. The College deans shall serve as non-voting ex-officio members.
Part VII. Terms for Elected Members of the Faculty Executive Committee
- The term of the elected members shall be two years, beginning on September first. Members representing even numbered groups shall be elected in even numbered years. Members representing odd numbered groups shall be elected in odd numbered years. Interim appointments shall be made by the Chair of the Faculty and shall extend through the remainder of the elected term.
Part VIII. Elections of the Faculty Executive Committee
- Elections of members shall follow the procedures for electronic ballots set forth in Senate Bylaw 340 and Divisional Bylaw 150 (G).
Part IX. Duties of the Faculty Executive Committee
- The Faculty Executive Committee shall:
- Provide general oversight of the academic programs in the College and bring before the Faculty of the College any recommendations that the Faculty Executive Committee may deem advisable using procedures set forth in Senate Bylaw 95.
- Serve as an advisory body on matters concerning the welfare of students in the College.
- Designate the specific courses (including prerequisites and limitations) which shall be accepted in fulfillment of graduation requirements of the College.
- Review and approve requirements for College majors, minors, honors programs, and other curricular requirements of the College.
- Review and propose for faculty vote changes to College regulations.
- Review and approve proposals for new departments, Centers for Interdisciplinary Instruction, and interdepartmental programs.
- Consult with concerned faculty members and members of the administration and make recommendations to the Deans based on established Senate policies about the College's allocation of educational resources, academic priorities, and planning and budget issues.
Part X. Meetings of the Faculty Executive Committee
- The Faculty Executive Committee shall meet at least once each quarter.
- A quorum for the Faculty Executive Committee shall consist of seven voting members.
- If no quorum is present at a scheduled meeting of the Faculty Executive Committee, all matters on the agenda requiring a vote of the Committee may be carried over to the next scheduled meeting or may be submitted to an electronic ballot to the Committee members.
Part XI. Amendment of Bylaws
- These Bylaws may be amended by two-thirds affirmative vote of the Faculty voting by electronic ballot, provided notice shall have been given fourteen calendar days prior to the electronic voting deadline.