Process for Proposing a Writing II Course
Departments interested in submitting a course for Writing II credit should:
- Read the Writing II Committee's Guidelines and Recommendations for Writing II Courses
- Prepare a course syllabus that clearly delineates:
- How writing assignments will be used to introduce students to your discipline's principal concerns, various genres, and modes of discourse.
- The different kinds of writing assignments to be completed in the course of the quarter (or year if a cluster); their length; and opportunities that students will have to revise their written work.
- The percentage of the final grade that is linked to the course's writing assignments.
- Prepare a Writing II Course Proposal Information Sheet and attach this to your course syllabus.
- Prepare a cover letter to the Chair of the Writing II Committee describing your proposed Writing II course—subject matter; writing assignments; when you are planning to offer it; and projected enrollments—and formally requesting that it be approved to carry WII credit.
Address your course proposal materials to the Chair of the Writing II Committee. Proposals may be submitted electronically to Chelsea Hackett (CHackett@college.ucla.edu
) or to the Writing II Committee Office (A265 Murphy Hall, Mail Code 157101).
Once your proposal is received, it will be distributed to the members of the Writing II Committee for approval. The approval process includes collaboration between instructors and the Writing II Committee, so please note that approval of Writing II courses may take up to two quarters.
| Proposal Deadline || Approved Courses Effective Term |
|Thursday, March 29, 2018 || Winter 2019 |
| Friday, September 27, 2018 || Spring 2019 |
| Friday, January 4, 2019 || Summer/Fall 2019 |